This meal is great for healing postpartum... It has chicken for protein, shiitake mushrooms for their immune-boosting properties, sesame oil for its warming qualities, and ginger and garlic for digestion, just to name a few
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless), sliced into thin strips
- 8-10 shiitake mushrooms, soaked and sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot (optional, for thickening)
- Spring onions, thinly sliced for garnish
- In a bowl, mix together the sesame oil, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar, honey or brown sugar, grated ginger, and minced garlic.
- Add the chicken strips to the marinade, ensuring they are well coated. Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 20 minutes, or refrigerate for a few hours for better flavor.
- Heat a wok or large pan over medium heat and add a little oil.
- Add the marinated chicken and stir-fry until cooked through, approximately 5-7 minutes.
- Add the shiitake mushrooms and continue stir-frying for another 3-4 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- If desired, mix the cornstarch with a little water to form a slurry and add it to the pan to thicken the sauce. Stir well to combine.
- Cook for another minute until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat and garnish with sliced spring onions.
- Serve the sesame chicken with shiitake mushrooms hot with steamed rice or quinoa.
As always, consult with a healthcare professional or a TCM practitioner to ensure that the ingredients and preparation align with your specific condition, preferences, and any dietary restrictions you may have.